Monday, July 27, 2009

Chipotle Beef Salad

Adapted from my Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast: Salads cookbook.



Ingredients:
1 lb bonesless sirloin
Rub:
1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Dash of salt and pepper
Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
Lime juice from 2 limes
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Salad:
1 can corn kernels, drains
Various veggies, chopped to bite size pieces: red onion, red pepper, celery, cucumber, avocado
Lettuce
Directions:
Combine lime juice, cumin, chili powder, oregano, garlic, pinch of salt and pepper into paste. Spread paste over steak. Refridgerate for at least one hour.
Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the chipotle chiles, olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, garlic, 1 tablespoon water, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper. Process until smooth. I found this dressing to be way too spicy for my own taste - perhaps I used one chile too many. I tried to tone it down slightly with some mayo, I think sour cream might have worked better and would have been a nice way to tame the spice.
Since I don't have a grill or grill plate (yet), I broiled the steak for 5-7 minutes per side (it came out a little more well done than I like). Transfer to a cutting board and let stand for 5-10 minutes. Cut the steak into slices.
Arrange the lettuce in a bowl, add corn and various veggies. Top with steak. Drizzle with the dressing and serve!

No comments: