Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Cuban Marinated Steak & Baked Sweet Plantains

So Justin loves plantains. A lot. Awhile ago I told him that I wanted to try to make them myself, but I hadn't been able to find them in our local grocery stores. Luckily, my mom was able to find some in the Bronx and got them for us! I let them ripen and tonight was the night! I paired them with a Cuban Marinated Steak. Delish!

Cuban Marinated Steak
Recipe adapted from this recipe.

Marinade:
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. soy sauce

Marinate steaks for 30+ minutes. Cook as desired - I cooked them in a saute pan over medium-high heat til cooked through.


Baked Sweet Plantains
Adapted from this recipe from recipezaar.com.

Ingredients:
2 ripe plantains (when the skin is yellow with spots of black they're perfect)
Cooking spray
Cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a nonstick cookie sheet with cooking spray. Cut the ends off of the plantains and peel. Cut each plantain on the diagonal into 1/2 inch slices. Arrange in single layer and coat tops with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake, turning occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, until plantains are golden brown and very tender.

No comments: